Chicken - 1, about 900 gms, cut into 8 pieces
Ghee or Oil - 1 cup
Onions - 2, medium sized and sliced
Onions - 2, medium sized and minced
Ginger - 2, two inch pieces, minced
Garlic - 5 cloves, minced
Garam Masala Powder - 1 tblsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper Powder - 2 tsp
Salt - 1 1/2 tsp
Tomato - 1, large, minced
Coriander Leaves - 1/2 cup, minced
Rice - 1 cup
Black Cardamoms - 2
Green Cardamom - 1
Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
Cloves - 2 to 3Method:
1. Wash chicken and set aside to drain.
2. Heat ghee or oil in a heavy-based pan over moderate heat.
3. Add sliced onions and fry till brown.
4. Remove onions from pan, drain and set aside for garnish.
5. Remove half the oil from the pan and return to moderate heat.
6. Add minced onions, ginger and garlic.
7. Cook over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes till well blended.
8. Add chicken, spice powders and salt.
9. Stir and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes, checking that it does not stick to pan.
10. Lower heat and cook for a further 8 to 10 minutes till water released from chicken is almost absorbed.
11. Add tomato and coriander leaves and cook for about 5 minutes.
12. Wash rice and soak in water for 15 minutes.
13. Drain rice and add to pan with whole spices.
14. Stir till rice turns translucent.
15. Mix in 2 cups of water.
16. Cover pan and put a weight on the lid.
17. Steam cook rice over moderate-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes till water is absorbed and rice is tender.
18. Garnish with the reserved fried onions.
19. Serve hot.